Emory Women's Center
A forum for women's intellectual, cultural, ethical, and spiritual life
President's Commission on the Status of Women at Emory
Association of American Medical Colleges, Women in Medicine
American Medical Association, Women in Medicine
American Medical Women's Association, Inc.
A former Emory faculty member in anatomy, Claudia Adkison left Emory to attain her law degree and returned to Emory later to become an executive associate dean. She wrote the first conflict-of-interest policies for the medical school and the university.
Dorothy Brinsfield received the medical school's first fellowship in pediatric cardiology. She joined the Emory faculty in 1963, at a salary of $10,000 per year, and rose through the academic ranks to become full professor and director of pediatric cardiology. She later became dean of students, following retirement of Evangeline Papageorge.
Emory reconstructive surgeon Linda Cendales led the team that performed the Southeast's first hand transplant in March 2011.
Winton Elizabeth Gambrell
Winton Elizabeth Gambrell was the first woman to be admitted to Emory’s School of Medicine, in 1943.
Luella Klein became the first female department chair (gynecology/obstetrics) in the medical school in 1986. She was also the first female president of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
In 1929, Evangeline Papageorge became the first woman appointed to the full-time faculty at the medical school. She would later become the school’s first female administrator when she was appointed dean of the students in 1956. She is remembered fondly by legions of alumni, who created the Papageorge Teaching Award in her honor.
Microbiologist Harriet Robinson developed a promising DNA vaccine candidate currently in clinical trials for both prevention and treatment of AIDS.
Nicole Turgeon, director of clinical islet transplants, and Kevin Kim, director of interventional radiology and image-guided medicine, together performed Emory's first minimally invasive islet transplant on a 42-year-old patient had had type 1 diabetes since she was 10. Performed under moderate sedation, the procedure required less than a quarter-inch incision rather than the two-to-three-inch incision used for the conventional method of islet transplant. Guidewires, catheters, and a central line were threaded through the incision into the portal vein. Under image guidance, the fragile islet cells were infused directly into the liver for implantation and to begin making insulin.
In 1960 cardiologist Nanette Wenger was appointed director of the cardiac clinics at Grady Memorial Hospital. She would go on to become a leading expert in heart disease in women.