Postdoc Appointment Process
The following steps should be taken when you hire a postdoctoral fellow:
Before a formal Appointment Letter is sent to an applicant, you should have on file:
- A copy of the postdoctoral fellow's Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Summary of Research Project
- At least Three Letters of Recommendation
- Transcript that shows the degree has been conferred or a letter from the prospective postdoc's Graduate School Dean if degree has not been officially awarded; documentation of doctoral degree provided for visa application satisfies this requirement. Transcripts should be available from all institutions listed on the CV as granting degrees to the Postdoctoral Fellow.
Provide to the Postdoctoral Fellow:
Appointment Letter (sample letter) from the faculty mentor to postdoctoral fellow. The fellow returns signed copy of letter accepting the stated terms.
What You Should Know:
- The minimum salary for the beginning postdoctoral fellow at Emory University School of Medicine is linked to the NIH and NRSA standards for both non-NRSA and NRSA funded postdoctoral fellows. The minimum requirements are updated annually. Please contact OPE to receive the salary tables for the current fiscal year
- Maximum Term of Appointment as a Postdoctoral Fellow at Emory University School of Medicine is Five (5) years. After this time, the Postdoctoral Fellow to remain at Emory must move to a staff or faculty position or leave the University
- Benefits are listed on the Human Resources website. The list of benefits include Health and Dental, Disability, Education and Retire plans, etc. For more information of postdocs' benefits, click here
- Policies for Postdoctoral Fellows, Emory University School of Medicine explains the definition of a Postdoctoral Fellow in the School of Medicine as well as provides information regarding Eligibility, Appointment Terms, Letter of Appointment, Annual Progress Review, Level of Financial Support, and Postdoctoral Fellow and Mentor responsibilities, Termination of Appointment, Grievance Procedures. For more information, please visit the Policies, procedures and forms page
Copies to be forwarded to OPE:
- Appointment letter