GME Oversight and Required Policies
It is the policy of the GMEC to maintain oversight of training programs by assuring that the GMEC reviews and approves at least the following issues before programs correspond with their RRCs.
- All applications for ACGME accreditation of new programs and subspecialties,
- Changes in resident complement,
- Major changes in program structure or length of training,
- Additions and deletions of participating sites,
- Appointments of new program directors,
- Progress reports requested by any Review Committee,
- Responses to all proposed adverse actions,
- Requests for exceptions of resident duty hours,
- Requests to inactivate or to reactivate a training program,
- Voluntary withdrawals of ACGME-accredited programs,
- Requests for an appeal of an adverse actions, and
- Appeal presentations to a Board of Appeal or the ACGME.
It is the policy of the GMEC to maintain oversight of training programs by assuring that programs include at least the following policies for review by residents and faculty members. Programs are permitted to develop additional policies with approval of the GMEC that might aid in education or further explain processes to the residents.
- Recruitment and selection,
- Promotion or, for a single year program - a completion policy,
- Grievance and due process,
- Warning, probation and dismissal,
- Graded responsibility and supervisory lines of responsibility for patient care,
- Duty hours including education and monitoring.