Monday, May 9, 2016
The information below describes events planned for fair weather (the weather typical for May in Atlanta). In case we experience inclement weather, please refer to the Inclement Weather information.
The 171st Commencement Exercises of Emory University
We recommend that guests arrive on campus at 7:00 a.m. to avoid area congestion. Students line up at 8:00 a.m. The grand academic procession begins at 9:00 a.m. featuring a pipe & drum band, the faculty of the University, the Board of Trustees, the deans and vice presidents, and award recipients. Degree candidates, marching behind banners and led by faculty marshals, enter the Quadrangle from all four corners. Members of corpus cordis aureum (alumni who graduated 50 or more years ago) also march in the procession. President James W. Wagner, Emory's nineteenth president, presides over the exercises. The ceremony includes the Commencement speaker, the conferral of Honorary Degrees and awards, and the conferral of degrees en masse. Degree candidates rise and are presented as a school by their academic dean and are represented on-stage by student marshals. At the conclusion of the ceremony the degree candidates are marched to school-hosted diploma ceremonies and receptions; the locations and times for School of Medicine activities are listed below.
Physical Therapy Program Diploma Ceremony
Woodruff Health Sciences Center Administration Building (WHSCAB) Auditorium
1440 Clifton Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30322
Graduates and their guests proceed to the ceremony from the Quadrangle. Reception immediately following the diploma ceremony in WHSCAB Plaza. Tickets are required and are distributed to the degree candidates in early May.
Contact: Ella Pollard, 404-712-5687
School of Medicine MD Degree Reception
James B. Williams Medical Education Building
100 Woodruff Circle, Atlanta, GA 30322
For graduates, guests, faculty, and staff - a lunch reception will immediately follow the 9:00 a.m. university quadrangle ceremony. Several M.D. graduates will receive a promotion in the military and their ceremony will be held during the reception.
Contact: Mary Kaye Garcia 404-727-5655
|11:30 a.m. -
Medical Imaging Program Diploma Ceremony
Harland Cinema, Dobbs University Center
605 Asbury Circle, Atlanta, GA 30322
Graduates and their guests proceed to the ceremony from the Quadrangle. Reception immediately following the diploma ceremony in Winship Ballroom, Dobbs University Center. Tickets are required and are distributed to the degree candidates in early May.
Contact: Candice McLean, 404-712-1160
|11:30 a.m. -
Genetic Counseling Training Program Diploma Ceremony
Whitehead Auditorium, Whitehead Biomedical Research Bldg.
615 Michael Street, NE, Atlanta, GA 30322
Graduates and their guests proceed to the ceremony from the Quadrangle. Reception immediately following the diploma ceremony in the lobby adjoining the auditorium. Tickets are required and are distributed to the degree candidates in early May.
Contact: Christi Bell, 404-727-5979
School of Medicine MD Diploma Ceremony
Glenn Memorial Auditorium
1660 N. Decatur Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30322
Dean Christian P. Larsen presides in honor of the Class of 2016. Recognition of honors, dual degrees, class accomplishments and the Hippocratic Oath are highlighted. Arrangements for seating for guests with special disability needs are made through the Office of Medical
Education and Student Affairs. Tickets are required and are distributed to the degree candidates in late April.
Live video will be available.
Contact: Mary Kaye Garcia 404-727-5655
Tips for School of Medicine MD Degree Commencement Guests
All-School Ceremony: Begins at 9:00 a.m.
- ARRIVE EARLY. If you arrive early, you can find a seat and enjoy the spring morning, as you watch the excitement build.
- This Ceremony is held outside on the lawn. If there is rain the night before or that morning, the lawn might be soggy or muddy.
- If there is rain in the forecast, please bring an umbrella.
- It can be a long walk from parking to the Quadrangle lawn. Use the Quick Guide (PDF) to locate drop-off points if needed.
- If you require special accommodations, this must be arranged ahead of time. Please contact Mary Kaye Garcia at 404-727-5655
MD Reception – School of Medicine Building: Begins at 11:00 a.m.
- Graduates will process from the Quadrangle lawn to the School of Medicine. Plan to meet your graduate there.
- The Reception is a good time to make sure you have your tickets for the Diploma Ceremony!
- Take family pictures here. Once your graduate arrives at Glenn Auditorium, he/she will need to report for Processional lineup promptly.
- The Reception is the best time to use the restroom. (Restrooms are available at Glenn Auditorium, but there are definitely more of them at the School of Medicine!)
- If you require shuttle transportation from the School of Medicine to Glenn Auditorium, you must arrange this ahead of time. Please contact Mary Kaye Garcia at 404-727-5655.
MD Diploma Ceremony – Glenn Auditorium: Begins at 1:30 p.m.
- Doors open at 12:45. DO NOT ARRIVE EARLY! There is very little seating outside of the building. If you arrive early, it is likely you will be standing. There is excellent seating inside of the Auditorium for everyone, so there is no advantage to arriving early.
- No strollers or baby carriers are permitted inside the Auditorium, so you will be asked to leave these items outside. (We will have staff available to assist you.)
- If you require special accommodations or special seating, you must arrange this ahead of time. Please contact Mary Kaye Garcia at 404-727-5655.
- Professional Photographers will be taking photos of each graduate as they are hooded and throughout the day. These photos will be available to purchase.
- With the intention of starting the Ceremony on time, we kindly request that you take pictures with your graduate AFTER the Ceremony or at the reception.
- Not enough tickets? The Diploma Ceremony will be webcast live in Room 110 and 120 in the School of Medicine building. No tickets required. The Diploma Ceremony will also be streamed live.
Checking the main Emory website (www.emory.edu) is the fastest way to learn if either the “Heavy Rain” or the “Severe Weather” plan has been activated. If the weather forecast calls for rain on Sunday night or Monday morning, we strongly encourage you to check the website or the weather hotline at 404-727-1234 on Sunday night after 7:00 p.m. so that you will know when/where to arrive on Monday morning and to adjust travel plans if needed.
If there is light rain, the Quadrangle Ceremony, Reception at the School of Medicine, and the MD Diploma Ceremony will continue as planned (bring an umbrella!)."
If the heavy rain or severe weather plan is activated, the Quadrangle ceremony will be CANCELED. The School of Medicine MD Diploma Ceremony will begin at 10:00 a.m. at Glenn Memorial Auditorium with the reception following in the School of Medicine lobby at noon.
See the University Commencement site for details.
A specific shuttle will be available for School of Medicine MD Degree guests with special accommodations.
A shuttle for special needs guests will be running from 11:30-1:30 (between Glenn and SoM) and then will carry guests back to the SoM after the ceremony. Guests need to meet the shuttle at the Glenn Easy Access tent to be picked up to go back to the SoM.
Any further arrangements for guests with special disability needs are made through the Office of Medical Education and Student Affairs. Please contact Mary Kaye Garcia at 404-727-5655 for arrangements.